The Master of Science in Health Information Management (HIM) is designed to provide practicing healthcare professionals with the requisite knowledge and skills to enhance their careers. With a focus on healthcare data analytics and informatics, this online master’s degree utilizes a multi-disciplinary approach to its curriculum emphasizing health data management, clinical and administrative decision-making, strategic planning, and outcomes management. In addition, you will continue to build upon your leadership, critical thinking, written and verbal communication, and problem solving skills. The program is designed to prepare you to manage health information systems and people, as well as employ appropriate change management strategies within an organization.
Note: Some courses in the program require you to install software for virtual online lab accessibility.
This program has specific admission requirements.
Degree Program Objectives
In addition to the institutional and degree level learning objectives, graduates of this program are expected to achieve these learning outcomes:
- Assess organizational compliance with state and federal governmental regulations, accreditation, licensure and certification requirements.
- Construct accurate quantitative evaluations related to health care statistics, financial management, and accounting standards and best practices.
- Evaluate legal and ethical concerns related to confidentiality, security, and privacy issues in the management of health information in a the digital world.
- Implement supervisory and management skills across business functions.
- Demonstrate knowledge of specialized medical language, classification systems, and reimbursement methodology common in the field of health information management.
- Synthesize material on health information management from multiple competing sources.
- Summarize the significance of being a health information administrator in terms of challenges, trends, and developments in a social context.
- Identify significant public policy issues in health information management.
Degree at a Glance
|Final Program Requirements||3|
|Total Semester Hours||40|
Degree Program Requirements
Core Requirements (37 semester hours)
|HIMA501||Technology Applications in Health Information Management 1||3|
|HIMA503||Healthcare Vocabulary and Clinical Terminologies||3|
|HIMA505||Research Methods in Health Information Management||3|
|INFO531||Management Information Systems||3|
|HIMA550||Clinical Workflow and Process Redesign||3|
|HIMA600||Financial Management for Health Professionals||3|
|BUSN601||Global Management Perspective||3|
|HIMA605||Legal Issues in Health Information Management||3|
|ISSC680||Information Security Management||3|
|HIMA610||HealthCare Data Analytics with Lab||4|
|HIMA620||Corporate Compliance in the Healthcare Industry||3|
|Total Semester Hours||37|
Required as the first course in this program.
Elective Requirements (0 semester hours)
There are no elective requirements for this degree.
Final Program Requirements (3 semester hours)
|HIMA699||Capstone in Health Information Management 1||3|
|Total Semester Hours||3|
Taken once all other requirements have been met.