The Master of Arts in Security Management provides advanced-level knowledge of asset protection, loss prevention management, security program evaluation, international security, and security management ethics and administration. This online master's degree offers you the opportunity to examine and analyze the principles, theories, and application of security management. Because security threats come from multiple online and offline sources, knowledgeable employees are needed in all industries to help develop security plans and protect data and other valuable organizational assets. This online master’s program helps prepare you for career advancement in security management in federal or local government, military service, law enforcement, and private security.
Degree Program Objectives
In addition to the institutional and degree level learning objectives, graduates of this program are expected to achieve these learning outcomes:
- Recognize and critically analyze the various forms of liability associated with the security management industry.
- Provide cost-effective measures for architectural security design for facilities, airport security, and critical infrastructures.
- Integrate and adapt security concepts and services from traditional approaches to address vulnerabilities to new technologies.
- Evaluate the technologies of security systems, information security, and asset protection methodologies, and construct a reasonable view through critical thinking to draw logical conclusions towards objective perspectives.
- Assess the security function as it pertains to complex specializations in safety, safeguarding sensitive assets, and conducting vulnerability assessments.
- Relate and associate historical, economic, equity and social perspectives of security measures and associate them to contemporary needs of protection and loss prevention.
- Apply the principles of scientific management to security management as a unique discipline.
- Apply the concepts of professional and ethical behavior to security programs and organizations.
Degree at a Glance
|Total Semester Hours||36|
Degree Program Requirements
Core Requirements (18 semester hours)
|SSGS500||Research Design and Methods 1||3|
|SCMT507||Assets Protection & Loss Prevention Management||3|
|SCMT508||Evaluation of Security Programs||3|
|SCMT509||Contemporary Issues in Security Management||3|
|SCMT510||Security Management Ethics||3|
|SCMT553||Security Program Administration||3|
|Total Semester Hours||18|
Major Requirements (15 semester hours)
|Cases in Executive Decision Making|
|Homeland Security and Defense|
|Airport Security Design|
|Total Semester Hours||15|
Elective Requirements (0 semester hours)
There are no elective requirements for this program.
Final Program Requirements (3 semester hours)
|Security Management Capstone 1|
|Master's Project Capstone Seminar 1|
|Total Semester Hours||3|