The graduate certificate in Environmental Planning and Design prepares you to develop strategies for implementing sustainable design practices at the landscape scale. You’ll be taught how to use planning tools, including the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS), environmental impact analyses, and the principles of sustainable design. You will also learn the elements that are necessary to design, evaluate, and implement actionable strategies that adhere to professional environmental planning and sustainability principles. This online certificate is intended for graduate students who want to expand their knowledge of environmental planning and design without committing to a degree program.
Upon successful completion of this certificate, the student will be able to:
- Detail the elements necessary to design, implement, and evaluate sustainable developments, landscapes, and environments.
- Analyze the complex and dynamic interactions between humans and their environment.
- Explain the role of government policy at municipal, regional, national, and global levels to achieve sustainable development.
- Apply theoretical concepts to practical applications in order to design and implement sustainable environmental planning.
- Apply principles of environmental policymaking and environmental legislation, as well as socio-political influences to the field of environmental planning.
- Critically analyze complex, and often competing development plans for adherence to professional environmental planning and sustainability principles.
Certificate Requirements (18 semester hours)
|EDMG515||Hazard Mitigation and Resilient Communities||3|
|EVSP503||Environmental Policy, Regulation, and Law||3|
|EVSP561||Elements of Sustainable Design||3|
|EVSP627||Landscape Ecology and Planning||3|
|Total Semester Hours||18|