The following outlines minimum technology requirements for course work at American Public University System (APUS). Some programs require additional software, as stated in the course.
- Internet access (high speed preferred)
- For desktop computers: Windows 7 or higher or Mac OS X 10.13.6 or higher
- For Tablets or Mobile devices: iOS 11.0 or higher; Android 5.0 or later
- Microphone, speakers or headset
- Access to a printer
- 4 GB of RAM
- 20 GB of free disk space
As a general rule, it is best practice to stay current or within one version of your Web browser, and Mobile OS.
- For desktop computers: Current version of Google Chrome, Firefox, Apple Safari or Microsoft Edge
- For Tablets and Mobile Devices:
- Apple iOS for iPhone and iPad: Apple Safari
- Android OS for Android phones and tablets: Google Chrome
- Current version of the Java Plug-in
- Current version of Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Current anti-virus software regularly updated by the manufacturer
- All faculty and students will be given an Office 365 account which includes your school email, used for private communication in the classroom, and access to Microsoft Office in the cloud (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneDrive).
IMPORTANT NOTE: Chromebooks (Chrome OS), iPads (iOS) and Microsoft Surface RTS do not meet the minimum requirements for coursework at AMU/APU. These offer limited functionality and do not work with some course technologies. They are not acceptable as the only device you use for coursework. While these devices are convenient and may be utilized for some course functions they cannot be your primary device