Studying online requires that you use a computer, an Internet connection and desktop productivity software to complete your degree. To access the full functionality of our campus and classrooms you are expected to meet or exceed the requirements below. Some programs and classes may require additional software.
- Internet access (high speed preferred)
- Email client and an email address
- Windows 7 or higher or Mac OS X 10.6 or higher
- Microphone and Speakers or Headset
- Monitor capable of 1024 x768 resolution
- Inkjet or laser jet printer
- 2 GB of RAM
- 20 GB of free hard disk space
As a general rule, it is best practice to stay current or within one version of your Web Browser, Flash plug-in and Mobile OS.
- Current version of Internet Explorer, Firefox or Chrome
- Microsoft Office 2003 or higher/Open Office/Mac Office 08 or higher
- Current version of Adobe Flash Player
- Current version of Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Current version of the Java Plug-in
- A current anti-virus software regularly updated according to the software manufacturer
- American Public University System has entered into an agreement with CDWG to provide students and faculty discounted software and hardware. Browse to http://cdwg.com/apus for products, pricing and ordering information.
- The new Microsoft Edge Browser is currently not supported. Full Edge browser support in the classroom is expected towards the end of 2016.
- Students using adaptive technology are recommended to use one of these screen readers for use with Sakai: JAWS version 10.0 or later; Window-Eyes version 7.0 or later.