Not open to students who select this as a concentration in the MA - Military History.
The graduate certificate in World War II Studies is designed for students interested in the strategy, tactics, leaders, and lessons learned from the blitzkrieg into France, the Balkans, and the Soviet Union; the campaigns in North Africa and Italy; and the fighting in the Pacific. This online program emphasis the politics, political leadership, and diplomacy that enabled the rise of the Axis and Allied powers before, during, and after World War II. Historians with specialized knowledge can be found as curators, guides, or consultants in tourism, museums, or other historical settings.
Many university faculty members teaching our history courses are published historians or military leaders who bring unique perspectives and relevant research into the classroom. You’ll also connect and interact online with other students who share your enthusiasm for history.
Upon completion of this certificate, the student will be able to:
- Discern and critique the strategies, tactics, leaders, and lessons learned during the fighting in the China-Burma-India Theater, New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, the Aleutians, and in the Philippines.
- Explain and assess the strategy, tactics, and leadership from the blitzkriegs into France, the Balkans, and the Soviet Union to the campaigns in North Africa and Italy.
- Explain and assess the Allied victory in Europe to include the generalship and decisions concerning the amphibious invasions, airdrops, and the crossing of the Rhine.
- Distinguish the politics, political leadership, and diplomacy in Germany, Japan, and Italy that enabled the rise of the respective countries’ Axis leadership that ruled during World War II.
- Distinguish the political leadership that defined the Allied powers of the United States, Great Britain, and Russia before, during, and post-World War II.
Certificate Requirements (18 semester hours)
|HIST560||World War II in Context||3|
|MILH510||Studies in U.S Military History||3|
|MILH551||World War II in Europe||3|
|MILH552||World War II in the Pacific||3|
|MILH555||World War II: Politics, Political Leadership and Diplomacy||3|
|MILH654||World War II and the Eastern Front||3|
|Total Semester Hours||18|