The online undergraduate certificate in Terrorism Studies provides an overview of various terrorist groups, their histories, and their objectives. This 6-course certificate of study teaches how to define the causes and effects of terrorism and how to interpret religious and political motivations that spark violent attacks. In addition, you'll learn analytical methods, predictive tools, and effective procedures on how best to deter or protect against potential threats. Terrorist incidents occur through various online and offline channels, making protecting people and organizational assets a top priority for many organizations. In order to mitigate terror escalations and prepare for emerging dangers, many professionals in the intelligence and public safety communities are expanding their knowledge and skills through education. This online certificate is designed to support these educational goals.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- Investigate the causes and support mechanisms of international and domestic terrorism.
- Examine the history of terrorism and its fundamental variations: domestic; trans-national; state-conducted; state-aided, and independent.
- Employ indication and warning and predictive intelligence methods to forecast pending terrorist attacks.
- Examine effective methods of counter terrorism, response to reduce the effects locally, nationally, and globally.
- Explore the ideological forces behind terrorism and provide an overview of terrorist groups and their intimidation and fear tactics.
Certificate Requirements (18 semester hours)
|Select 6 courses from the following:||18|
|Mind of a Terrorist|
|Chemical, Biological, and Radiological Hazards|
|Terrorism and Counterterrorism|
|Terrorism and U.S. National Security|
|Total Semester Hours||18|