The National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) graduate certificate looks at the major laws, regulations, and policies that encompass environmental programs and projects in the U.S. This online certificate is specific to the theory and practice of the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 (NEPA). You will gain an understanding of the legal framework of NEPA, its legislative history and intent, and the Council of Environmental Quality implementation of this law. The primary focus will be on gaining hands-on experience preparing original NEPA compliance documents. You will also learn to critically review proposed projects presented in categorical exclusions, environmental assessments, and environmental impacts statements, and analyze environmental impacts of the proposed activities.
Upon completion of this certificate, the student will be able to:
- Analyze the environmental compliance process as stated in the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 (NEPA) (as amended) and Council on Environmental Quality Guidelines.
- Evaluate significant NEPA case law and legal challenges/requirements.
- Analyze environmental impact documents to identify strengths and weaknesses, legal soundness, and adequacy of environmental impacts of the proposed major federal action.
- Apply appropriate EA/EIS analytical methodologies.
- Evaluate approaches to mitigate conflict in public participation efforts (e.g., National Environmental Policy Act scoping and public comment processes).
- Prepare environmental impact assessment documents.
Certificate Requirements (18 semester hours)
|EVSP503||Environmental Policy, Regulation, and Law||3|
|EVSP509||The National Environmental Policy Act (Prerequisite: EVSP503 - Environmental Policy, Regulation, and Law)||3|
|EVSP629||Environmental Impact Analysis (Prerequisite: EVSP509 - The National Environmental Policy Act)||3|
|EVSP639||Intermediate Environmental Impact Analysis (Prerequisite: EVSP629 - Environmental Impact Analysis)||3|
|EVSP640||Advanced Environmental Impact Analysis (Prerequisite: EVSP639 - Intermediate Environmental Impact Analysis)||3|
|Total Semester Hours||18|