The graduate certificate in Environmental Risk Assessment investigates the use of management tools and strategies to resolve complex environmental problems and controversies. This online program offers a solid foundation in risk assessment methods as defined by the National Academy of Sciences: hazard assessment; dose-response assessment; exposure assessment; and risk characterization. You’ll study the application of toxicological and epidemiological data for conducting human and ecological risk assessment, and gain an understanding of the role of government in developing compliance standard and public policies. This online certificate is intended for graduate students who want to expand their knowledge of environmental risk assessment without committing to a degree program.
Upon successful completion of this certificate, the student will be able to:
- Define the principles of environmental risk assessment, including detailing the steps in the risk assessment process.
- Determine the toxicity of a compound through literature research and explain in terms of human health and ecosystem impacts.
- Explain the role of government policy to address environmental risk assessment and management.
- Analyze scientific data to identify and characterize risk for both humans and ecosystems.
- Critically assess the effectiveness of site remediation plans.
Certificate Requirements (18 semester hours)
|EVSP503||Environmental Policy, Regulation, and Law||3|
|EVSP509||The National Environmental Policy Act||3|
|EVSP560||Environmental Risk Assessment||3|
|Total Semester Hours||18|