The graduate certificate in Criminal Justice explores criminal behavior from biological, psychological, and sociological perspectives. Areas of the law related to procedural and substantive law, punishment philosophies, and constitutional issues are also examined. This online certificate program enhances the knowledge of current criminal justice professionals and is helpful preparation for most careers in the law enforcement field. This online certificate is intended for graduate students who want to expand their knowledge of criminal justice without committing to a degree program.
Upon completion of this certificate, the student will be able to:
- Evaluate the functions of the Criminal Justice systems including the organizational aspects as they relate to the interrelationships of the executive, judicial, and legislative branches.
- Assess the criminal behavior theories and distinguish between biological, psychological, and sociological approaches.
- Distinguish between criminal law and civil law including the aspects of procedural law, substantive law, punishment philosophies, and constitutional issues.
- Evaluate the roles of the police, prosecution, courts, and corrections including the functions and interrelationships.
- Determine the magnitude and application of legal issues regarding criminal profiling and its application in law enforcement.